Sunday, June 26, 2005

What Is Torture?

In the last few weeks, my thoughts about what torture is have come under scrutiny by a lot of different people. So I thought if I made a list and asked my readers which ones they thought were torture I would have a better idea of what the consensus is when it comes to identifying torture. I’ve numbered them so that you can write in the comment section on which ones you find the most torturous.

1. Being forced to sleep outside in sub-zero weather without shelter
2. Being forced to sleep outside in 100 degree weather without shelter
3. Being forced to sleep next to a generator
4. Being forced to listen to loud offensive music
5. Being forced in to stress positions for hours at a time in a 100 degree weather
6. Sleep depravation
7. Food depravation
8. Forced marches with 80 + pounds on your back
9. Being hit with an open hand
10. Having pins being pounded into your chest
11. Being kept in a kennel overnight to keep you from sleeping
12. Having some one threaten you with physical violence
13. Having someone draw their weapon, point it at you and squeeze the trigger without there being rounds in said weapon
14. Not being allowed to go to religious service because you were forced to be outside in the elements
15. Being put into a steel box that did not give you enough room to stand up completely or lay down completely
16. Having rounds being fired over your head
17. Being forced to breath CS gas in a closed room

I’ll stop there because by now you are thinking that having all those things being done to you would be hell. I can tell you at times it was. All these things were experienced by me, or my Army buddies, during our time in the Army. It was called training. Combat is a stressful and demanding exercise. The only way you can make it through such a stressful and demanding excersise is to be able to draw from past experiences and say, “I made it through that; I can make it through this.” Some of things I listed were just things done to me or my buddies as jokes, like the weapon being drawn and pointed at me, others were parts of SERE school, and the rest was just regular field excersises. I know that you probably didn’t find it funny, but most civilians don’t have the same sense of humor combat arms soldiers do. Believe me when I say that the person that did that to me was one of the best soldiers I’ve ever met and I was glad to have him on my side. You see the Army trains it's soldiers to be tough. That means give them as much stress as possible in a controlled atmosphere to toughen them up, so when they are in battle they can draw on those experiences for strength to get them through it. I think that the people that feel we are torturing the terrorists being held at Gitmo, have probably never been through anything mentally or physically challenging. That’s why they feel its torture, because they know that they could never survive it. To those people I say this, “Stop being such a pansy. These people at Gitmo are willing to blow themselves up, live in caves, starve, and dehydrate themselves to kill Americans. Their life is not that tough at Gitmo compared to their life as a terrorist.”

9 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Anonymous B-Cack said...

How about thrown into an old ammo bunker, (after being in the woods for 6 days without much food, walking all night every night, and about a total of 20 hours of sleep in said number of days) then having loud explosive devices thrown in. (About 5 times louder than an M-80) Then you are dragged out, thrown on the ground and MRE crackers are ground up and shoved in your face, ears and up your nose while men around you say "fuck George Bush" and spit on his photo. Then they shove said crackers in your nose and you start to snot/bleed all over yourself? Is that torture??? Good thing that never happened... stupid gay Belgians....

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Jon said...

5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 15, 17.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Yah jon those were rough ones let me clarify the pins being pounded into me were my rank. And my first sergeant relayed a story about going through some sort of air force sere training where they put him in a box like i described with a coffe can to use as a bathroom. the rest of them though were just regular army training.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Hey b-cack was that at ILRS survival school or belgium commando school?

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous B-Cack said...

Belgain stuff... stupid gay "commandos"
How can you be a leg and still be a "commando"???

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

If you want a blog start one comments are for just that maybe a quip not a post. No room for two bloggers on my site.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger PoP said...

Sorry son. I missed the deleted comment. Let me read it next time you come by to borrow a movie.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Basically it was someone telling me to stop crying and that terrorists weren't volenteers like I was. but they used like 17 lines to say it. I would have left it and responded if they didn't take up so much space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home