Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Look to the Ska


When ever I’m feeling a little down, I find it best to throw on some happy music to lighten the mood. One of the best music genres to accomplish this is ska. Not only do most of the musicians look like a bunch of engineers trying to dress hip, they actually play instruments that don’t require electricity. (Reel Big Fish pictured left)

I’ve been listening to ska since I was in high school and really just dug how it was sort of like reggae meets punk rock, without all the Hali Salasi praising, pot smoking, and angry people wearing green jackets with orange liners. So to help brighten your day I have a great song from Reel Big Fish. It’s the best remake of a song I’ve ever heard. What’s even better is that I hated the original song but they figured out a way to make it cool. Enjoy. (click on the link to download it, duh)

14 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger a4g said...

Doctor, did you ever hear the original Fishbone EP?

Like Ska^2, and funny as all hell.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Parts I think, it's been a while since I was serious into music. Ska isn't too big here in the south. It's mostly a east coast, west coast thing.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Fitch said...

I like Reel Big Fish too. One of my favorite bands is Less Than Jake.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

I concur, Less Than Jake does rock.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Wyatt Earp said...

It looks like somebody raided Devo's closet.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger kateykakes said...

Good stuff, Doc. Hearing that was just what I needed tonight - well, almost! =)

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger GunnNutt said...

Man, I'd forgotten all about Ska. Now to go dig up that old Bim Skala Bim CD. You're right about it being "happy music".

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Toni said...

DPT - ever check out The Fenwicks' Truth or Memory?

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger SeanS said...

DPT,

Obviously you are not an audiologist or you wouldn't subject people to that.

Sorry, just don't care much for the genre.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

I love Ska! I'll do my best to catch up on what I've missed thus far but if my muzzleloader gets fixed, all bets are off! Later!

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger The Anti-Hippie said...

DPT,

Less than Jake is awesome, and some of the older Goldfinger is quite good as well. or guarapita... if you don't mind that they're fro.... err, umm... french

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Fitch said...

Ewwwwww... Dirty Frenchman.

 
At 4:02 AM, Anonymous Steve the Pirate said...

I'd heard good things about these guys, and must say that they were right.

Should I buy some CDs or illegally download some mp3s?

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Ah Ska...lots of cool memories of college in Los Angeles and going to The Palace in Hollywood to see The Untouchables. Loved the clip! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home