Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Dr. Phat Tony Gets All Politicallyish

I know I made up that word, but I have a legitimate complaint. Judge Roy Moore is throwing his hat into the Governor race. I made this prediction a few months ago. To be more specific I said, “I honestly think that the only thing that Judge Roy Moore was thinking about when he made that monument was “How can I get myself noticed so I can run for governor?” I guess I was right on. This is going to be ugly. I’m not a big fan of Moore and don’t think he would make a good Governor. He’s already wasted time, money, and drug Alabama through the mud over a selfish cause. I still contend that there was no decent reason for the monument and it was a waste of money. Only 3 of the Ten Commandments apply to any of the laws in Alabama. (Yes I know that there are depictions of the Ten Commandments in other courthouses, and if the builders of Alabama’s Judicial Building put it there, then I have no problem preserving a historical landmark regardless of religious depiction.) Only two things can be brought about by him running. One, he gets elected and starts enacting all those blue laws and makes religion a focal point for everything. No more buying beer on Sundays and say goodbye to all the people moving to Alabama to avoid the crazy lefties extremes in other states (Yes crazy righty extremes are just as annoying). Two, he takes enough votes away from a decent candidate and gets Don Siegelman elected.

There are others who think this is a good idea. I think they are a bit off on their reasons though. Just because some one fights the ACLU (I’m not fond of them) doesn’t mean that they’re right or stands on higher ground. I still say he cost the taxpayers a lot of money for something that did nothing to enhance the ability of the court to do its job. The monument to the Ten Commandments is at a church now, and out of the Courthouse. Alabamians got sent a half a million dollar bill because of it. He has written a book and is making money off of the whole thing. Not very fiscally responsible of Judge Moore to slip the bill to taxpayers for his monument when there are so many other things that Alabama could be spending money on. As a matter of fact this whole thing seems like one big selfish indulgence and attempt to be noticed. He played being a victim of religious persecution to the hilt for political gain and people are jumping on the bandwagon because of it.

Another issue that he will be running on is the lottery (Don Siegelman’s baby) and other moral issues. I could care less one way or the other if Alabama has a lottery. I’ll drive the 15 min to Tennessee to buy my ticket if I want to play. Everyone else will drive to Florida, Georgia, or Mississippi and support their school system. Republicans are supposed to be the party that believes in personal responsibility, but yet want to control how you spend your money. I have the right to fail. As far as morality, this revealing quote from Moore tells most of it, “But I’ll tell you what I will do. I will defend the right of every citizen of this state - including judges, coaches, teachers, city, county and state officials - to acknowledge God as the sovereign source of law, liberty and government,”. That was very pretty Moore. Would you allow a teacher to pray to the devil in a classroom out loud and force the students to be quiet while doing it? How about if a judge decides to hang a cross upside down in a courtroom or put a golden calf in the outside of the front door? If you didn’t allow these things, wouldn’t you be persecuting them for their religious beliefs? If you open the gates for this, be prepared to see things that you don’t want to see. You really can't have it both ways.

Judge Moore is saying some good things though. His campaign platform reads well, and I agree with it. I just can’t bring myself to elect a person who used religion and feigned persecution as tools to advance his political career and to be noticed. I can't bring myself to vote for some one that doesn't have the forsight to see what would happen if some one with different religious beliefs came to a seat of power. I guess if I have to choose between Moore and Siegelman for governor, I’ll just have to stay home and let the rest of Alabama decide and hope that the following Sunday I’ll be able to buy a six pack if I choose.


This wasn’t funny at all.

11 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

First!

I like Moore but then, I don't have to live in his state. I do agree with your assessment of him. The entire thing reeks of political opportunism now that you've put it in that light. At the time, I was a pretty ardent supporter of his. Great line of reasoning - I've now become somewhat ambivalent about the whole episoede.

No beer on Sunday? That ruins Football and NASCAR! That's grounds for impeachment!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

That should have read, "I liked Moore then..."

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

The only thing I contest is If Moore was Muslim and wanted to pu a Koran in the courtroom, how many people would be screeming about religious freedom. I don't think many, and that's hypocracy.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Wyatt Earp said...

It appears to me that he's a media whore. And the last thing you want to do with someone like that is elect him.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger GunnNutt said...

I thought Moore crossed the line when he refused to abide by a higher court's ruling to remove the monument. He may have been right about the issue, but no one - especially a judge! - has the right to ignore the law. I feel for ya' Doc. Sounds like a lose-lose situation.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Cove Rebel said...

I guess me and you will have to basically disagree on this one dude. I'm gonna volunteer for his campaign.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Tyler D. said...

What did Moore prove by not removing the monument when ORDERED by a superior Judge? He doesn't respect anything! I say screw him.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dems will be voting in the Repub primary to prevent Moore from winning. Moore stands a better chance running as an Independant.

DanFan

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous seawitch said...

I agree with you about your reasoning about Moore. Religion should be kept out of politics. Can the people of Alabama really afford to elect a man who thumbs his nose at the law? I mean you guys already have State Senator Erwin making statements about why God sent Hurricane Katrina. One bright spot, between the politicians in Louisiana and Alabama, Mississippi begins to appear to be a big voice of reason.

Good luck.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Peakah said...

With the rest of the nuts running this and running that, sounds like he fits right in!

Politics may be all he's qualified to do anymore.

I initially agreed with his stand against removing the Ten Commandments... but your totally unfunny yet totally reasonable analysis has completely changed my mind! *swaying with the wind*

I didn't even realize he was running, keep us updated next year on this! This could be fascinating.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous mukrz said...

OMG. We finally see eye to eye on a political issue... well, near enough.

I would be interested in hearing from people who believe that religious people hold a "sole proprietership" when it comes to high morals. The Golden Rule, whether expressed in the religious writings of Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus or Buddhists, does not belong to any single group.

Freedom OF religion is also the freedom FROM religion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home