Monday, October 03, 2005

Peace Keeping Sucks

B-Cack and I have talked about this in the past and come up with same conclusion when it comes to troops performing peace missions, such as peace keeping and humanitarian aid. We both think it sucks. Maybe it’s because both he and I joined the Army to be killers, or we have an understanding of how the military mind works when it comes to the average GI. If given a choice between handing out MREs or killing terrorists, I think both he and I would choose the latter. I understand that all people don’t join the Army to become a steely eyed killer. Some people join up to become a paper pushing, wrench turning, support weenie. That’s fine by me, because they support the killers and make them more effective. I don’t think anyone joins up with dream of handing out bottled water and stacking sandbags to keep flood waters from taking over neighborhoods. The biggest misunderstanding I think most people have about the Army is that soldiers are here to defend the United States from all threats. The truth is that soldiers are here to fight wars and kill bad guys (Defend against all enemies both foreign and domestic.), not save cities from natural disasters.

Let me try to explain another way. Let’s compare a policeman with a soldier. A policeman is trained to work with civilians and shooting some one is usually a last resort. A soldier is trained to make sure they don’t shoot a civilian, but shooting enemies is goal number one. A soldier is trained to close with, engage, and kill the enemy. A policeman is trained to determine who the bad guy is and capture him alive if at all possible. This may seem like semantics to you, but there is a world of difference to the people performing a job. There is no hesitation from a soldier when they see some one with a weapon who is not wearing the US or other friendly country's uniform. A policeman does not have this luxury; they have to temper their reaction to make sure that an innocent isn’t killed by mistake. For a soldier, if you look like the enemy; BANG your dead.

Why is this important? Simply put, we do not want to change the role of our soldiers. We need them to be the efficient killing machines that they train to be. No hesitation. No remorse. Kill the bad guys and win the war. If we have our soldiers train up to be peace keepers and policemen, we are training them to fail in battle. If there is a need for federal employees to respond to emergencies and hand out blankets then we should start thinking about creating that job, but to use our trained killers to perform these tasks is a misappropriation of skill and firepower. Or as B-Cack bluntly put it,” Someone needs to let (people) know that a soldier's job is to close with and destroy the enemy using firepower, maneuver and shock effect........ not taking care of domestic issues."

Then again maybe I’m way off.

17 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Toni said...

I don't ever recall the military being thought of as "PeaceKeepers" until the 90's hit and you know who was in the White House. I think Ollie North said it well regarding the domestic situation.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Tyler D. said...

Nope, your not off.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger fmragtops said...

Right as usual DPT. I think Rush said it best when he said, "The purpose of the military is to kill people and break things."

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Ah, you don't want to be a "touchy, feely" soldier? We know that's what the liberals would prefer.

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous mukrz said...

Nice idea in theory, but it works about as well as communism in practice. Is it my imagination or should you be planning the next war with Rumsfeld?

Who do you consider to be the most elite soldiers in the army?

Rangers? Special Forces? Delta Force? 2 out of the three have, as part of their mission, the goal of "winning hearts and minds". If you can show me how to win hearts and mind strictly by killing and by not handing out some Mister E's from time to time then I will vote for Judge Roy "I like myself" Moore "than the Constitution" if he runs for governor (yes, he is off-topic, but I couldn't help it).

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Jon Jackson said...

You forgot Posse Comitatus. Giving the military extra power like this to make people feel good is a very bad idea. I don't want my children or grandchildren to have to face a coup d'etat because some ignorant congressman or president didn't understand the Constitution or the concept of separation of powers

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

For you Mukrz it's kind of long but I think you'll enjoy. SF Creed I am an American Special Forces soldier. A professional! I will do all that my nation requires of me. I am a volunteer, knowing well the hazards of my profession. I serve with the memory of those who have gone before me: Roger's Rangers, Francis Marion, Mosby's Rangers, the first Special Service Forces and Ranger Battalions of World War II, the Airborne Ranger Companies of Korea. I pledge to uphold the honor and integrity of all I am - in all I do.

I am a professional soldier. I will teach and fight wherever my nation requires. I will strive always, to excel in every art and artifice of war.

I know that I will be called upon to perform tasks in isolation, far from familiar faces and voices, with the help and guidance of my God.

I will keep my mind and body clean, alert and strong, for this is my debt to those who depend upon me.

I will not fail those with whom I serve.

I will not bring shame upon myself or the forces.

I will maintain myself, my arms, and my equipment in an immaculate state as befits a Special Forces soldier.

I will never surrender though I be the last. If I am taken, I pray that I may have the strength to spit upon my enemy.

My goal is to succeed in any mission - and live to succeed again.

I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery. God grant that I may not be found wanting, that I will not fail this sacred trust.

De Opresso Liber !

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Or how bout the Ranger Creed Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of my Ranger Regiment.


Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move farther, faster and fight harder than any other soldier.


Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be. One-hundred-percent and then some.


Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.


Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.


Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.


RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Winning hearts and minds in the way we fight honorably maybe but not number one goal.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Man After I read those creeds I feel like kicking a$$.

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous MEGABRAD said...

Right on the money DPT. Keep talking like that and I'll wanna VOTE for ya!

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Fitch said...

I second MegaBrad's motion to elect Dr Phat Tony to... uh... Well, something anyway.

WTF dmdqmhko

Is it really necessary for a word verification to have 8 characters?

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger PoP said...

Ok, who stole my son this isn't the the long haired high school sudent lib I had to put up with. Did you finaly see the light or did the Army show you the way? I am proud to call you my son.

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Steve the Pirate said...

How true, how true.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger GunnNutt said...

Pop, ya must have done something right. He turned out OK!

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Steve said...

Yeah Pop!! Well done!! You laid the ground work the military did the refining!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

There's an old saying (DPT will recognize it immediately), "If you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."

Something about watching your entire villiage engulfed in napalm that convinces you to give up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home