Thursday, November 03, 2005

Some Advice (Seriously)

I was reading Telebush’s blog, and came across an article he wrote about his self image that struck a chord in me. To give you some background, he’s a former marine who is now getting the higher education that is beneficial to everyone that wants to enter the private workforce. The problem he’s having is one that I think most military have once being discharged from their country’s service. He feels that he’s not being challenged and wonders about his abilities in general (physical, mental, etc.). He was looking for advice on what he could do to feel some self worth and I’m offering some advice.

There was a time shortly after I left the Army that I wanted to get back in. When I received emails from my buddies talking about fire fights and throwing lead into Iraq(u)i’s faces, I wanted to jump into the fray. I never had the chance to be a part of a fire fight, my real world missions were quite uneventful. Why would I want to be a part of it? Because it’s the ultimate test. You and your team pitted against other people and second place receives their medal posthumously. You train so long to fight, that you actually look forward to getting a chance to do it, to find out how tough you are, to find out if you had what it takes to win a battle. I don’t have that as an option anymore. My life belongs to my wife, and she needs me to be the man and take care of her. Although some soldiers can balance a wife and children (B-Cack), I know that I don’t have the strength to do it. Telebush, on the other hand, is currently going to school and really has no one depending on him other than himself. There is nothing stopping him from re-enlisting, other than the opportunity to gain a degree. He’s not feeling challenged by this, and something is missing that he wants to find; a chance to see how much he can take.

So here is my advice for what it’s worth. Finish school. This should be primary goal number one. Get a degree. I can tell you from my own experiences, that there are no jobs in the civilian world for trained killers (the mob doesn’t advertise job openings). Now to help with the immediate problem, find a contact sport that would allow you to compete. True this is only facsimile of real battle but it will exercise the same mental and physical skills that you would have to use. I suggest boxing, jujitsu (they started teaching that in the Army when I got in), or any martial art really. This might be able to give you some outlet for the aggressiveness and competitiveness that you have until after you finish your schooling. I would say boxing would probably be the best choice because of the way the training works and you wouldn’t have to travel to go to bouts.

If after you finish your degree you still crave the challenge, look into going back into the military, but as a warrant officer or an officer, or look at going into the CIA or FBI. With a degree doors will open. Of course this is all dependent on how things work out for you within the next few years. You might find what you are looking for and not need this type of challenge by the time you graduate. If I’m way off on my assessment, then just ignore my advice.

16 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger Telebush said...

Thanks for the words... I certainly plan to finish the degree (the sooner the better). I'm going to take some time to work out on my own and get into a little better shape (God knows I need it) then I will look into one of the martial arts clubs here on campus. I tried one last year but then there was a scheduling conflict and I forgot about it...
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only that feels this way.
Thanks.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger millman said...

Very insightful DPT, I too had a touble of a time to find my niche. I started to go to school to do hazardous material handling but I did that in the Marine Corps. Finally, I got into the quality world and find where I belong.

Keep it up Telebush, never quit and find your spot in line bro.

Hoorah!!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger GunnNutt said...

Makes a lot of sense DPT. Are you sure you're not a real Dr.?

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Fitch said...

Very nice, DPT. I thought it was well spoken.

GunnNutt, we already went over this. Doc bought his degree on the internet for $20, so yes, he is a real doctor.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Doc!

I appreciate your words for my son!!!!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Daniel Levesque said...

I know exactly how it feels to not be the guy in the war zone while so many brave souls are busy risking their lives. It really sucks.

www.ravingconservative.com

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Peakah said...

I too walked away from the military (albeit Air Force, if that even counts) and decided on the taking on the challenges of raising a family instead.

Anyway, I have nothing intelligent to add, the Doc nailed it...

Although slide tackling someone in rugby just doesn't compare... sometimes...

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger JermCool said...

The only thing I truly miss about the military was the camraderie. In the business world is eat or be eaten. But I was signal corps, so I guess my transition was a bit easier. Once a geek, always a geek. Now just a geek out of uniform.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger PoP said...

The student has become the teacher. I'm very proud of you son. Now get back to work and write some thing funny.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Sage advice, Doc.
Wow.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Fitch said...

Sage advice, Pop.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous The Gray Tie said...

Hey there neighbor, yes we live in the same town. I clicked over from Jo's Cafe. I served five years in the Navy, got out, got married, started having babies. In January I will be heading back to school full time to pursue an English degree. Something I started 11 years ago but then quit when I got married and started having babies.

You are the third "neighbor" I have found blogging. Nice place by the way.

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Jermcool you are right about the relationship that develops between soldiers. It's a hard one to overcome. I still don't have friends as close as my army buddies, but I understand that in the real world my success is not directly tied to anothers.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Cove Rebel said...

Volunteer as a Fireman in your area. That will check your fun block. It's like QRF but instead of shooting you battle elements, cut cars apart. There is purpose, adventure, structure and authority. Pager goes off, your heart starts pumping...wreck with entrapment, structure fire-fully involved...

Shoot (water), move and communicate. And your own version of MOPP gear!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Pandy said...

I am glad I'm not the only one who has gotten out only to start thinking about how much I do miss it (this happens a lot more often than I'd like to admit). I think my better half is going to miss it even more than I do when he gets out, but I am scared to encourage him to re-up. This is some real food for thought. My head might pop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home