Monday, December 19, 2005

Age of “Not My Responsibility”

Every once in a while you see something that might be considered poor taste. I’m thinking that of all the things that you should be sending E-Cards for, letting some one you slept with know that you gave them an STD would be the last on the list. I think it’s poor taste to break up with a person over the telephone, so sending an email to let someone know that the burning sensation that they feel is because of you, is lower than pond scum.

I do understand the mentality of someone who would send an E-Card like this though. They didn’t have enough responsibility to wrap it, why would they take the responsibility to tell someone face to face that they screwed them for the rest of their life. I’m thinking this might start a trend of other E-Cards for some other events that would take character, courage and backbone to tell people.

How about:

DOD can send out E-Cards letting families know that their soldier died. “He fought as a soldier and died a hero. Have a good day.”

Doctors can send out the “I hope your having a good day, because they’re numbered. You only have 3 months to live.” E-Cards.

Another good one would be, “Hey stud, you knocked me up.” E-Card.

Perhaps the “Hope you saved your receipts, we’re coming to visit” E-Card from the IRS would brighten up the way to tell you you’re being audited.

Is there anyone left that has an ounce of sanity that thinks these E-Cards are just plain sickening?

Update: To clarify, I’m all for people notifying someone of the potential of spreading a disease. I think that the over all cheerfulness of these E-Cards is what’s sickening (that and the fact that they’re necessary in the first place). I would prefer the Health Department send a letter instead of any type of email. One if the person is sent this notification to their work email address it could be monitored. Same with a private email address if they open it at work. Two, it would save time on the amount of pranks being played if a letter from the Health Department was sent instead of an anonymous email.

11 Comments:

At 5:53 AM, Blogger Contagion said...

wait, you said someone with an ounce of sanity, well I'll give my 2 cents anyway. Tacky, yes. Sickening, not really. If someone uses them at least they are letting the partner know. I'd rather they let the person know then not.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

I think that anyone that has such casual unprotected sex should probably make a habit of getting tested. Maybe if the E-Cards weren't so cheerful about it, it would be less sickening.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Uber said...

How about a pre-dating "If you give me an STD I'll murder you in your sleep!" e-card?

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Daniel Levesque said...

Oh dear. Does anyone else see the implications of this? A bunch of disease-ridden nymphos behaving badly and massaging their consciences by sending these e-cards t the people they are hurting?

www.ravingconservative.com

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous MEGABRAD said...

All your base are belong to us!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I like Uber's idea!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

It's a good sentiment but also shows that the murder was premeditated. It's the difference between capital murder and manslaughter.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Dang.
Justifiable, perhaps?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger D. Maria said...

Definitely justifiable! ;)

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Tyler D. said...

How about, if you give me an STD you MIGHT die in your sleep.

or something will happen to you in your sleep.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Kath said...

Oh wow, comepletely blindsided me with the serious post!

And, ew is all I have to say about that. I feel comforted by the fact that I sleep with my 9mm on my bedside table to shoot the jerk that was too pansy to tell me (or my friends, cousins, siblings, etc.) about his STD.

Not that I would actually shoot the guy. Much. Just sayin'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home