Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Limitations


I’m giving out some free advice for parents or anyone that might have children in the future. I really hope that you heed my advice; I would hate to see your child be rejected and ridiculed on national television.

Last night I was forced to watch American Idol. Normally I don’t pay much attention, but because the auditions were so horrible it got me to thinking. I’m sure that some of the worse auditions were jokes, but that still leaves a percentage of people that honestly believe that they can sing, even though they have less than zero talent. I don’t blame the singers for this. I blame the parents of these young people for lying to their children for so long.

I believe that a lot of these horrible singers have been lied to most of their lives by their family and now truly believe that they are great singers. Case and point, the kid that sounded like his nuts hadn’t dropped yet. He was taken to the audition by his mother and grandmother, both of which gushed over how great a singer he was. Buzzer Wrong answer. The kid can’t sing and probably will never have the ability to hold a note. They have been lying to this kid for so long he believes he can sing now. I hope that the insults he took on the show, and the insults waiting for him at his school, wake him up to the fact he has no aptitude for singing.

This seems to be a common theme in America now. The whole “If you believe in it enough and work at it enough; you can do anything” shtick. This is a load of crap and shouldn’t be told to impressionable kids. It’s the responsibility of a parent to identify talent in their child and then steer them in that direction. There are some things that practice can’t overcome. Some things actually take natural ability. Singing is one of them. If your kid can’t sing but loves music, hand them an instrument where at least they can practice enough to be proficient. They might not ever sit in the first chair of an orchestra, but anyone can learn to play a song on an instrument with enough practice. Please for the sake of my ears, don’t tell your kid they can sing when they sound like whales mating. It’s just unfair to the kid to set them up for failure, like the parents obviously did for the people auditioning last night on American Idol. I’ll show you what a softy I really am. I honestly am embarrassed for some of these people. I feel so bad that they’ve been lied to and were told they could sing. You know that some one encouraged them to go there and audition. That person should be arrested for child abuse.


For instance: Whoever told this little fruit topping he could sing should be locked away.


21 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Blogger Contagion said...

That's what my parents did to me, I remember being in third grade and my mother saying, "Some people have a lot of artistic talent, some people have a little artistic talent, you have no artistic talent."

I still sing, badly. But I know I'm horrible.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger PoP said...

I know I should have told you long ago you can't sing. I know it hurts, but you can ask for a second oppinion.... ok you have no mechanical skills either. We love love you son.

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous linda said...

I am not an AI fan even though we've had a couple of winners from this part of the world. Can't esplain it, I'm just not!
Don't worry DPT, maybe your talent is hidden!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

To quote one of my favorite people "I sing like an amputee; can't hold a note, can't carry a tune." Jimmy Pop

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous tommy said...

anyone can learn to play a song on an instrument with enough practice.

Have you heard me play the guitar? I'm proof of the incorrectness of that statement.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

I said play a song, not be a rock star. Even I, in my limited capacity, can play one song well enough to be recognized.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I can't sing or write.
But fortunately, I am delusional, so I keep at it.

Excellent post, Doc.
Put up a post of you singing, and we'll be the judge... ;)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Cove Rebel said...

This sounds like the pain of a Doc who didn't make youth choir and had to settle for alter boy. hahahahaha!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger The Anti-Hippie said...

What about the Bag-O'-Cats lady? Ouch!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

I didn't even mention the "Microwaved prostitute" and her mother. Why does a 16 year old look like the spend all their free time in a tanning bed?

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous lil' B-cack said...

So you mean my parents were lying to me when they told me I can play the piano, am a good shot, they love me, and am their favorite child? I'm going to go cry now....

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

I haven't heard you play the piano or shoot but so I can't really comment on that. But B-Cack told me that he was the favorite child so they might have been lying about the rest.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Ssssteve said...

I think Simon was right! That guy sucks!! What a idiot

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Don't worry, DPT, we make sure our kids know what they are talented at and what they are not. Since I come from a very musical family, I can honestly tell them whether they should sing or play an instrument. The instruments win out! ;) Daughter #1 is first chair clarinet at her high school and that's out of about 43 clarinet players, so she's pretty darn good! Daughter #2...well, cheerleading is looking like the thing for her!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Uber said...

haha I'd be too mortified to admit the kid was mine just for choosing "Like a Virgin" and dancing like that at the same time to brag on the singing ability.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Wyatt Earp said...

It's like the parents of those little bastards we catch robbing old ladies. The first thing out of their mouths is "Not my boy!"

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Toni said...

The comment about the microwaved duo was hysterical. What amazes me about these people, they watch AI and SEE all the really bad singers make absolute pissant fools out of themselves and don't have a flippin clue they are one of the pissants. It's just too good a humor to pass up if I'm home. I stop watching after the intial shows. I just like to watch the pissants, I'll admit it.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger GunnNutt said...

It could be that lots of people think like you do, Doc. They've watched the 'tards on AI and finally stopped pushing thier kids into embarrassing themselves. Maybe AI is a public service!

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous FIAR said...

Masterful, Doc... Simply masterful.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Tyler D. said...

There isn't anything I can add to these comments.

Just shoot the bastard.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger SeanS said...

At least he had his boyfriend for comfort. No one else in America feels bad for the loser.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home