Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Over The Weekend

Well my extended weekend is over. I’ve been 28 for a few days now, but I’m sure I’ll forget how old I am in a few more weeks. The parties are over and it’s time to get back to work. The next holiday is months away and I’ve tried to enjoy the time that I’ve had off.

So let me tell you what happened over the weekend. On Saturday night my wife was nice enough to throw me a small party. Mukrz and his wife were there, along with another couple, and a gaggle of kids ranging in age from 3 to 6. I really did feel sorry for the kids. My house is just plain boring for young children. We are seriously short on toys and distracting young children is an art I have yet to master. In all it was a nice time. The food was wonderful, thanks to my wife. I did get to drink a little, all though far less than what I had planned. I’m sure my blood alcohol level was more than .08, but that’s a far cry from being drunk. Good news is that I did finally get to open the bottle of Single Barrel JD that I have had stashed away for 5 years. I guess I could have stayed up later than I did and tried to finish it, but I lost my resolve to get drunk at 3 a.m. What can I say, my wife had fallen asleep on the couch shortly after our guests had left and I was running out of movies to watch while drinking.

How does this compare to past Birthdays? Well, I have to say that it’s not better or worse than past birthdays (except for the food, my wife is an awesome cook and I never had food that was that good before getting married). My Birthdays were just different before I was married and leading a respectable life. When I was single in the Army, Birthdays went one of two ways. I went out with my Army buddies, raided some poor German town, and ended the night making a packed with everyone else involved promising never to speak of what had happened to anyone, or I spent my Birthday alone, trying to drink enough to enhance whatever mood I was in. If you are expecting me to tell you stories of the drunken debauchery that took place when going out with my Army buddies; then you are going to be waiting forever. Let me just say that I can never run for political office because of them.

I’m sure that my Birthdays will change even more once me and my wife start a family. I might have one more try at partying like a fool on my Birthday. Next year expect a large party; a party to end all parties. Then again, that sounds like a lot of work. Maybe I’ll just stay at home and spend a quiet evening with the wife.

12 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Sound like you had a good one.
The JD sounds nice too!!

Sometimes, quiet is good...

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Peakah said...

I'm feelin the pain of the realizations of real life...

...oh to debauch once more...

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous FIAR said...

"If you are expecting me to tell you stories of the drunken debauchery that took place when going out with my Army buddies; then you are going to be waiting forever."

I can wait that long... Can YOU?

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Sounds like a challenge.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger a4g said...

Doctor, kids love poo stories. You should be like the pied piper.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Cove Rebel said...

Don't you mean you can't run for public office unless you are in Massachusetts? But then again, you haven't killed a girl that was riding in your car...or have you???

-CR

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Back in my day I might have been able to keep up with Ted in a drinking contest. I think his liver would have gave out before I passed out.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger PoP said...

You sound a lttle disappointed, son. I personally enjoyed fixing the dryer.and the rest of the party was ok too.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Uber said...

Ah, and so it begins. Gettin' older, first the gatherings move from out to inside the home, then it starts to involve fewer and fewer guests wrapping up earlier and earlier until finally it's all over man. It loses its appeal when ya have someone to stay home with, I think.

I have trouble staying awake until it's time to go out....pathetic I tell ya. lol

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Ssssteve said...

getting old sucks!!! But probably a whole lot safer!!

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger The Anti-Hippie said...

Wait a couple, err... four years and we'll have that last party together... Last for you, not for me. ;)

 
At 2:32 AM, Anonymous linda said...

Maturity happens to most people eventually!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home