Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Triumphant Return

I came back from my vacation a winner, of sorts. I did not win the snapper competition, but I did accomplish everything on my “to do list”. We left on Thursday evening for Gulf Shores and came back Sunday evening. I guess the best way to do this is to list all the things that I did and saw on my weekend at the beach.

• Walked on the beach. Check
• Got sun-burnt. Check
• Swam in the Gulf of Mexico. Check
• Got sand in my shorts. Check
• Saw Pop wear slacks and suspenders on the beach. Check
• Drank beer. Check
• Watched a boat troll for sharks using live bait. Check
• Went fishing on a charter boat. Check
• Caught my limit of snapper. Check
• Pop caught his limit of snapper too. Check (author’s tip: If your tackle smells like squid; you won’t catch any snapper.)


• Deck hand showed us his crabs. Check
• Bought souvenir coffee mug. Check
Had hot rolls thrown at me. Check
• Drove home with only one cd in the player because the other cd’s were covered with luggage. Check
• Applied aloe to my wife’s skin because she got sun-burnt too. Check
• Woke up earlier than I normally do everyday of my vacation. Check
• Took an extra day of vacation to recover from my vacation. Nope, I should have though.


In all it was a blast. I hope to do it again next year but maybe leave out the sun-burnt thing.

19 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Tyler D. said...

If that is pop... He looks like a pirate. And you know what they say about pirates.

"Lots of Booty"

BWHAHAHAHHA! Damn, I crack myself up.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger a4g said...

I'm just sorry that Pop is getting downsized.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger PoP said...

Thats their slant. I quit because they wanted me to work for tacos.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger PoP said...

if you want to catch nice snappers you need big tackle.

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous fmragtops said...

It looks like you caught a speck with all that snapper.

Glad you had a great time doc!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger spacemonkey said...

Dagnabbit Doc, I wish I'd known you were down!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

I wish I knew how close your house was to the beach. We had an extra place on the boat for one more.

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pop!

How much did you have to pay to get a picture with the snappers?

DanFan

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger PoP said...

Actualy I just told them I was a nearly blind feeble old man and needed help across the street and these two boy scouts volunteered.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous linda said...

Did you use sunscreen? Has your sunburn blistered up, yet? That means there will be peeling!

What did you do with all the fish? And did your nephew catch his quota? (You can stop the slimey jokes anytime now!) Did you heave?

The picture of the beach is beautiful--makes me want to be there!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Dr. Phat Tony said...

Not at first which is why I got burnt.
No peeling, I moisturize.
Fish in freezer.
Nephew got his limit.
No sea sickness for this ol' salt.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Sssteve said...

Hey pop, Did you get any snapper in your beard?

Lamberts is the Bomb!! I love those throwedrolls and fried taters!!!!

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Gulf Shores is my hometown (several decades)....So awesome you had a great time!!! I billfished in tournaments for over 10 years out of O.B. and internationally. I like trolling much better than bottom fishing though. (smiling) Glad you had fun.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Wow.
Beer and snapper.

Sounds like a great time!

Glad to have you back, Doc!! :)

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger spacemonkey said...

You had an extra place on the boat?

Double Dagnabbit!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Steve the Pirate said...

Lambert's has some of the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life. Never ate at the Foley restaurant, but I lived twenty miles from the one in Sikeston, MO.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Kath said...

Glad to hear it! :o)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Dad's limit looked tastier than yours.

Also, the Lamberts in Mo. is still the best of the group. But they are all fun to eat in.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Uber said...

Yay! Welcome back. :)

Sorry 'bout the burn (that's what ya get for being so greedy with the snapper).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home