Monday, June 26, 2006

Bugs and Explosions

I met with a guy from International Fire Protection (IFP) today, and he relayed an amazing story to me that I have to share.

He told me about a time when he had to go out to an armament plant in Tennessee. He stopped at the guard station to get signed in, and the guard asked him if he had taken the safety course. The IFP guy said that he hadn’t, but needed to take ‘cause he had to get working on their fire suppression system and wanted to get finished with it quickly. The guard then said, “Let me tell you about mud daubers.” Of course, the IFP guy looked at the guard like he was nuts and replied, “Look, I’m from the south and know all about mud daubers.” , I just need the safety course so I can get some work done.” The guard didn’t want to here that and insisted on trying to get the IFP guy to listen to his mud dauber story. The IFP guy cut him short and told the guard that he didn’t have time to listen to him about bugs. He was getting mad and then the guard started yelling at him about the mud daubers.” . The IFP guy finally gave up and left before he lost his temper all together.

Before the IFP guy even got out of the parking lot, he received a call from his boss. His boss told him to go back inside, the guard had already called him and let him know he was very sorry, and wanted him to come back so he could apologize and let the IFP guy get his work done.

The IFP guy went back to the guard station, where the guard met him and apologized. The guard said, “Look, I apologize for getting mad. I needed to explain something to you and probably went about it the wrong way. We make C-4 here. After it’s formed into bricks, we rinse the machines where excess residue and material are stored in a sump. The mud daubers have started using this as the building material for their nests. I needed to let you know, that if you saw a mud daubers nest, not to touch it. If you look outside, you see the buildings labeled 1,2,3,5,6,7? You see one missing? Those nests are dangerous.”

The IFP guy asked, “I thought it took pressure and heat to make C-4 explode?”

The guard replied, “So did we. If you see a nest, call me and I’ll take care of it.”

11 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger a4g said...

I'll take an old fashioned California earthquake over a freakin' high explosive wasp any day of the week.

Reminds me of some of the stories my FIL (once the head of safety engineering with a defense contractor) tells. Dangerous stuff.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger PoP said...

I could tell you a story about mud dauber and an 18 X 20 foot high pressure chamber that back spun a turbine because of a mud dauber nest in an exhaust for a 4 inch valve. blew the tubine apart. I have pictures to prove it.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger PoP said...

Off topic son, had to buy a new video card for the computer. the old card was to low on memory. The game works great now. thanks for the gift.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Ssssteve said...

I ended up working 1 1/2 hrs longer than needed on one of our furnaces because mud daubers had built a nest in the exhaust tube! I hate those things!

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Kath said...

Holy cow. I'll never look at a nest quite the same way again.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Dang terrorist wasps.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous fmragtops said...

Splodeytard Dirt Daubers...heh.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger rachel said...

I know personally that we have mud daubers here in Phoenix. Now I'm wondering if we have any C4 factories nearby.

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous FIAR said...

From what I understand bees, wasps, termites, etc. create a pretty good deal of heat in their nests. I don't know if it's body heat (do they have body heat) or probably more likely, friction heat, but it gets much warmer than we would be able to tolerate.

I would also imagine that all those b@$tards packed in there creat pressure as well.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger The Anti-Hippie said...

I tell people to just leave the mud daubers alone, they don't sting, but no...

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anna said...

heh...boom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home