Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Civic Duty Day 2

I'm here again at the court house. I arrived at 8:45 and started my long day of waiting. Thank God for technology. If it wasn't for this laptop, I would probably lose my mind to boredom. I'll keep everyone up to date as I spend my day supplying justice for the county of Madison.

10:09 An hour and 15 minutes wasted for justice. I'm the ultimate juror. I've yet to complain and I'm sure just my presence alone has sent evil doers to prison, since I haven't even step one foot in a court room yet. Take that evil doers! My sedintary ways have shown you that no crime will go unpunished.

10:50 Almost lunch time, and so far absolutely nothing has happened. I guess I can share a conversation of a girl who is obviuosly in trouble that I've over heard since I've been here.

Ghetto Girl: "...but I've only failed one drug test."
DHR Rep: "You've only taken one drug test. The ones that you failed to show up for counts as a failed."
Ghetto Girl: "But pain pills aren't drugs."
DHR Rep: "Yes, they are."

14:56 Still here and still have not been called. An uncountable amount of hands of hearts have been played. I have yet to pull out the real time strategy game on the laptop for fear of actually being called to court and be selected as a juror. I would hate to have to pause my game to walk into court. Luckily, the juror lounge is right next to what seems to be a courtroom that is having bench trials. The caliber of people strolling through the hallways have been interesting at best. Nothing like the dregs of society parading by you to make you thankful that you have a small amount of commen sense and the ability to stay out of trouble. I doubt if I'll have anything else to add to this post. I figure that I will be let out of here shortly. If that happens and I don't have to come back tomorrow, this will be the end of the live blogging. If I'm back tomorrow you guys will have to suffer more live blogging.

17:09 I was released for the evening. I'm now in a jury pool for a criminal case. I don't know whether I'll be a juror yet or not. I'll be told tomorrow bright and early at 09:00. This means you might have to suffer through another day of live blogging. So sorry.


To be continued.

4 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger PoP said...

Dress completly in black. Thats the best way to insure selection by the prosecution and the defense will turn you loose. Works for me.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous fmragtops said...

Racial epithets are probably a good way to, ahem, speed up the selection process.

Well, don't feel like the lone ranger. I've been out of criminal law enforcement for two years, and I still have to spend a day in court every month.

You would think police officers would get some sort of special treatment considering they just got off shift five hours ago, and will have to be back on shortly after leaving court, but they don't. Their day is strikingly similar to yours. The only difference is there are other cops there to talk to, and have "I arrested the biggest idiot" contests with.

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taking Michael Savage's book "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder" ended my jury selection opportunity real quick.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger NOTR said...

Funny! I have lived in this blooming county for a decade now and have yet to get a summons.

Lets hope you don't get the "Mom who starved her kids case." That will be nasty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home