Friday, August 03, 2007

Insensitive War Stories

So this whole Beauchamp thing seems to have people up in arms. Do I think the kid is a liar? I think he’s an exaggerator at best. I knew a guy like him in the Army and to cover up the fact that he never did anything super cool, he would take a story and blow it up beyond recognition. For example: He once said that he had a bad jump while at Bragg and ended up landing in the Delta compound. What really happened was that a jump he was on another plane had it’s jumpers out in the wrong spot and they ended up in the trees. You see he took a true story (a bad jump), then inserted himself in the story and embellished it so instead of trees it was the Delta compound. The story of course became more fantastic every time you heard it. The last time I heard it not only did he land in the Delta compound but Delta force came running out where he landed with MP5s ready to blow him away. Of course it was hard to lie to other soldiers. It’s a small Army and a smaller MOS. There were people in my unit that were also a part of this jump and new the DZ was no where near the Delta compound.

Now Beauchamp’s story of making fun of a lady with the melted face is probably partly true. Do I believe him and his friend made jokes at this lady’s expense? Sure, but not where she or anyone else besides the people that thought it was funny could hear, and from what seems to be coming out not because the stress of war.

I actually have a similar story to the one Beauchamp told. When I was at Camp Bondsteel, there was a Kosovar that worked in the sew shop that had a gimp arm. It was a birth defect, and other than her arm, she was fairly hot. There was a soldier in my unit that joked that he would get some "nub love" before the deployment was over. Of course, he would never joke about it in front of her (I think he was really trying to get some) and we all joked about it also. Soldiers are pretty insensitive. We had our nickname for her and though it was mean no one in my unit would dare to say something that would hurt her feelings anyway. Now what it seems like to me is the Beauchamp is relaying a similar story. They probably were making fun of a woman who was injured; where she could hear it though is doubtful.

1 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger Snakeeater said...

Taking a true story--"I jumped"-- and twisting the basic facts into an untrue story--"I landed in the compound"-- is generally regarded as lying. Period.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home